This article provides the best practice on how to perform upgrade of Qlik Sense from November 2017+ to later versions. We are using February 2019 and its later patch version as an example.
For installation assistance, see our STT Worry Free Installation of Qlik Sense
For general upgrade advice and troubleshooting help, see Troubleshooting your Qlik Sense upgrade
.Environment: (as "prerequisite")
- Qlik Sense Enterprise, November 2017 or later version
- Qlik Sense prior to June 2018 version and running Standalone PostgreSQL database with pre-created QSMQ and SenseServices databases before upgrade. Please refer to the Installing and configuring PostgreSQL section of the Help site.
- Back up the certificate on Central node. Please refer to the appropriate Help Page.
- Back up the shared folder used by Qlik Sense. Navigate to the share folder and back up the entire folder. This path is printed in the Service Cluster section of the QMC
- Back up the Repository Database
- Stop all of the Qlik Sense Services except Repository Database service
- Log on to Windows of Repository Database of Production. Run below command line in command prompt.
cd / & mkdir QSR & "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\bin\pg_dump.exe" -h localhost -p 4432 -U postgres -b -F t -f "c:\QSR\QSR_backup_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-10,2%%date:~-7,2%.tar" QSRNote1:
Upgrade Qlik Sense
Above command line is example when Repository DB is installed on C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL
. Please modify the path based on your environment.Note2:
May also need to backup the QLogs database. See Backing up a Qlik Sense Site
Apply February 2019 patch
- Stop all Qlik Sense Services on rim nodes.
- Stop all of the Qlik Sense Services on Central node except for Qlik Repository Database Service. Make sure it remains running.
- On the Central node for Qlik Sense, run the Qlik Sense February 2019 IR installer as administrator.
- Follow these upgrade steps:
- Right click Qlik Qlik Sense February 2019 Installer and select Run as administrator
- Upgrade windows displays. Press Upgrade button
- License Agreement window displays. Tick I accept the license agreement and select Next.
- Service Credentials window displays. Enter Password of the service account which you run Qlik Sense Services. Then select Next
Note: In this example, domain\administrator is used to run Qlik Sense Services
- The Ready to upgrade window displays. Tick all desired options and then click Next.
Note: Qlik appreciates participation in assisting continued improvement of our upgrade procedures.
- License Agreement window displays, tick I accept the license agreement and select Upgrade
- After upgrade, open the QMC to ensure that the apps migrated successfully
- Open the Hub to validate connectivity
- Run the Qlik Sense February 2019 IR installer as administrator on all RIM nodes
After the upgrade - increase the Setting: max_connections to higher value
- Stop all of the Qlik Sense Services
- On the Central node for Qlik Sense, run the Qlik Sense February 2019 Patch installer as administrator
- On the Rim nodes for Qlik Sense, run the Qlik Sense February 2019 Patch installer as administrator
- Stop all of the Qlik Sense services including Repository Database service
- Open postgresql.conf of PosgreSQL DB (Repository Database)
Note: when you have standalone PosgreSQL DB installed, default location of postgresql.conf is C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\data of windows of posgreSQL DB.
- Change Sum of max_connections on all nodes + (10 x number of nodes) For example, 1320 = 4 nodes with max_connections set to 320 for each node.
- Save the file and restart all of the Qlik Sense Services including Repository Database service